There has been a significant jump in the volume of squid produced globally—nearly one fifth—that can now be classified as sustainable or improving toward sustainability, and Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) is crediting work done in its Global Squid Supply Chain Roundtable as playing a part.

SFP is monitoring the state of global squid production as part of its ongoing Target 75 initiative, which has set the goal to see 75 percent or more of global seafood volume produced in a manner that is either sustainable or improving toward sustainability, all by the end of 2020. SFP has maintained that Supply Chain Roundtables (SRs), while not exclusively required, are a valuable tool in driving positive change.

The Global Squid SR, which allows for squid buyers, suppliers, and other key industry stakeholders to work together in a pre-competitive fashion toward improving sustainable squid production worldwide, officially merged into a single entity in March 2017.

At the time, there was no squid production anywhere in the world that met the Target 75 criteria. Now, however, SFP analysts say 18 percent of global squid volume qualifies. In addition, work is proceeding to establish several new fishery improvement projects (FIPs) that could add as much as 19 percent more global volume, totaling 37 percent.

“Beginning at the point where we first formed the combined SR, a lot has been accomplished in a pretty short time,” said Sam Grimley, who leads the Global Squid SR for SFP. “Based on that, it’s pretty safe to say we’ll be making more announcements about progress with squid down the road.”

A significant stakeholder driving this jump in improvement is the Committee for the Sustainable Management of the Southern Pacific Jumbo Flying Squid (CALAMASUR). The new industry group has accomplished a great deal already to improve Peruvian jumbo flying squid at the critical regional fisheries management organization (RFMO) level, and its work with the newly launched Peruvian Jumbo Flying Squid FIP accounts for a great deal of the recorded improvements. SFP also notes that many other groups and stakeholders were involved, including the China Blue Sustainability Institute, which facilitated an important squid FIP that SFP announced last year. Another major player has been Ocean Outcomes, the NGO that announced the establishment of another FIP late last year, this time focusing on East China Sea and Yellow Sea squid.

SFP is also planning to release an updated version of the 2018 T75 Sector Report, with data that will reflect these and other trends in sustainable squid production worldwide.

Contact: Sean Murphy, Communications Director