Date: April 2022
Position: Bycatch Action Coordinator
Term: 12 months
Background on SFP
Founded in 2006, Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) is a marine conservation organization working toward a world where the oceans are healthy, all seafood is produced sustainably, and everyone has access to sustainable seafood. We leverage the power of seafood buyers and retailers in every part of the seafood supply chain to rebuild depleted fish stocks, reduce the environmental impacts of fishing and fish farming, address social issues in fishing, and advance economic opportunities for fishers and their communities. Our Supply Chain Roundtables (SRs) allow seafood suppliers to work together in a pre-competitive environment to promote and support improvements in fishery and aquaculture practices, management, and policy. Visit us at www.sustainablefish.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
1) Project Need:
The unintended catch of non-target species in commercial fisheries continues to be one of the most significant issues affecting the ecological sustainability of the oceans. Bycatch of endangered, threatened, and protected (ETP) species is still occurring globally on a significant scale despite various ongoing efforts to protect whales, sharks, seabirds and sea turtles, and an increase in the number of certified fisheries and improvement projects. As part of our Protecting Ocean Wildlife initiative, SFP will launch a Bycatch Hub to facilitate and engage the seafood industry in bycatch mitigation efforts. The Consultant will support the development and launch of the Bycatch Hub, as well as coordinate and support activities to implement SFP’s overarching Protecting Ocean Wildlife strategy.
2) Consultant activities/deliverables:
Utilizing their background in fisheries and ocean conservation, the Consultant will provide services to SFP to assist with Protecting Ocean Wildlife projects, including:
- Coordinate the development of the Bycatch Hub platform by liaising with the Markets team, Communications team, and Protecting Ocean Wildlife team to create and manage a project plan, develop content and design, and support recruitment of companies to participate in the Bycatch Hub
- Research funding opportunities to sustain the Bycatch Hub in the long term and assist with writing proposals and grants.
- Cultivate the initial network of companies participating in the Hub including the provision of regular information updates, coordinating briefing webinars, news alerts and relevant industry data
- Assist with the production of analysis and resources on endangered, threatened and protected species for the seafood industry including technical briefings
- Support the Ocean Wildlife Manager with the production of bycatch audits including coordinating contributors, managing timelines, reviewing drafts, liaising back with the Markets team, and coordinating materials for release with the Communication team
- Identify potential practical projects that will address bycatch issues and alert relevant SFP staff (Supply Chain Roundtable leads, Markets team) where there are opportunities to provide direct support
3) Qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field, preferably marine biology
- Passion for protecting ocean wildlife
- Experience and understanding of the technical issues associated with commercial fishing and bycatch
- Good attention to detail, with strong organizational and multi-tasking skills, including the ability to coordinate the work of others
- Outstanding communications skills, including the ability to present complex issues effectively to industry audiences and to be persuasive and credible
- The ability to be entrepreneurial and creative at all times and to self-motivate and self-manage
- Fluency in spoken and written English, with preference given for bilingual skills
4) Additional Comments/Desirable Qualities:
- Experience in issues around by-catch mitigation and/or observer coverage on fishing vessels
Duration/Level of Effort: This is a 12-month, consulting contract.
Compensation: Competitive and based on experience; terms of pay to be based on a daily contract rate or fixed-rate basis.
To Apply: Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a CV and letter of interest to email@example.com with subject line “Consultant — Bycatch Action Coordinator”. Application deadline is May 20, 2022.